St. Sergius Bacchus Church
Little Hagia Sophia
Church of Hagia Sophia
Hagia Sophia, "Holy Wisdom"; is a former Greek Orthodox patriarchal basilica (church), later an imperial mosque, and now a museum (Ayasofya Müzesi) in Istanbul, Turkey.
From the date of its construction in 537 until 1453, it served as an Eastern Orthodox cathedral and seat of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Latin Empire.
The building was a mosque from 29 May 1453 until 1931. It was then secularized and opened as a museum on 1 February 1935.
Little Hagia Sophia, formerly the Church of the Saints Sergius and Bacchus is a former Eastern Orthodox church dedicated to Saints Sergius and Bacchus in Constantinople, converted into a mosque during the Ottoman Empire.
Pammakaristos Church, also known as the Church of Theotokos Pammakaristos "All-Blessed Mother of God"), in 1591 converted into a mosque and known as Fethiye Mosque and today partly a museum, is one of the most famous Byzantine churches in Istanbul, Turkey.
The parekklesion, besides being one of the most important examples of Constantinople's Palaiologan architecture, has the largest amount of Byzantine mosaics in Istanbul after the Hagia
The Church of St. George is the principal Greek Orthodox cathedral still in use in Istanbul, the largest city in Turkey and (as Constantinople), the capital of the Byzantine Empire until 1453.
Since about 1600, it has been the seat of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the senior patriarchate of the Greek Orthodox Church and recognised as the spiritual leader of the world's Eastern Orthodox Christians
Church of Pammakaristos
Church of Hagia İrene
BYZANTINE ART TOUR IN ISTANBUL
In the end of the III century, the Roman Empire was separated in two parts. The separation was final in the year 395, when emperor Theodosius the 1st died. The Eastern Part of the empire latter called the Byzantine Empire prospered for a thousand years until 1453 when its capital Constantinople was occupied by the Ottoman empire.
The appellation Byzantine comes from the name Byzantium, the ancient name of the city that Emperor Constantine choose to make his capital. Combining multiple diverse heritages the Byzantine empire became a brilliant prosperous and refined civilization which marked the history and progression of all the region but as well of Western Europe.
The Byzantine Empire was a Christian state which defined certain Dogmas of the Christian Religion. Until the Schism of the 2 churches in 1054 the Religion of the State was the Universal Christianism. After the Schism, since the Eastern Empire retained the rules and preaching of the original Church was called the Orthodox church.
Church of Saint George
Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Monastery of lips
Fenâri Îsâ Mosque in Byzantine times known as the Lips Monastery, is a mosque in Istanbul, made of two former Eastern Orthodox churches.
The building reputedly stands on the site of a pre-Christian temple. It ranks, in fact, as the first church built in Constantinople. Roman emperor Constantine I commissioned the first Hagia Irene church in the 4th century.
It served as the church of the Patriarchate before Hagia Sophia was completed in 360. From May to July 381 the First Council of Constantinople took place in the church. It was burned down during the Nika revolt in 532. Emperor Justinian I had the church restored in 548.
Church of Mryleon
Bodrum Mosque named after its converter, in Istanbul, Turkey, is a former Eastern Orthodox church converted into a mosque by the Ottomans
The church was known under the Greek name of Myrelaion
Great Byzantine Palace
The Great Palace of Constantinople — also known as the Sacred Palace was the large Imperial Byzantine palace complex located in the south-eastern end of the peninsula now known as Old Istanbul (formerly Constantinople), in modern Turkey.
It served as the main royal residence of the Eastern Roman or Byzantine emperors from 330 to 1081 and was the centre of imperial administration for over 800 years. Only a few remnants and fragments of its foundations have survived into the present day.
Blakhernai Palaces (Tekfur Palace)
The Blakhernai Palaces, known today as Tekfur Palace, was built by the Byzantines in the 12th century and used as an imperial residence until the Conquest of Constantinople in the 15th century.
The palace complex was built next to the city walls at the ancient Blakherna district, in todays Egrikapi neighborhood near Kariye (old church of St. Savior in Chora).
The area was one of the seven hills of the old city. The cellars of the palace, known as Anemas Dungeons, were also built next to the walls a little bit further north, just near Ivaz Efendi Mosque.
Undergrand cistern-Nakkaş Cistern
The Church of the Holy Saviour in Chora (Turkish: Kariye Müzesi, Kariye Camii, Kariye Kilisesi — the Chora Museum, Mosque or Church) is considered to be one of the most beautiful surviving examples of a Byzantine church.
The church is situated in Istanbul, in the Edirnekapı neighborhood, which lies in the western part of the municipality (belediye) of Fatih
In the 16th century, during the Ottoman era, the church was converted into a mosque and, finally, it became a museum in 1948. The interior of the building is covered with fine mosaics and frescoes
The Basilica Cistern is the largest of several hundred ancient cisterns that lie beneath the city of Istanbul (that is formerly Constantinople), Turkey.
The cistern, located 500 feet (150 m) southwest of the Hagia Sophia on the historical peninsula of Sarayburnu, was built in the 6th century during the reign of Byzantine Emperor Justinian I.
The Monastery of Stoudios, more fully Monastery of Saint John the Forerunner "at Stoudios", often shortened to Stoudios, Studion, or Stoudion, (Latin: Studium), was historically the most important monastery of Constantinople (modern-day Istanbul), the capital of the Byzantine Empire.
The residents of the monastery were referred to as Stoudites (or Studites). Although the monastery has been derelict for half a millennium, the laws and customs of the Stoudion were taken as models by the monks of Mount Athos and of many other monasteries of the Orthodox world; even today they have influence.
The ruins of the monastery are situated not far from the Propontis (Marmara Sea) in the section of the city called Psamathia, today's Koca Mustafa Paşa. It was founded in 462 by the consul Stoudios (Latin: Studius), a Roman patrician who had settled in Constantinople, and was consecrated to Saint John the Baptist. Its first monks came from the monastery of Acoemetae.